Hutchinson Andrew Trio Wins TD Grand Jazz Award at Montreal International Jazz Festival
Alberta's own Hutchinson Andrew Trio has been named the winners of the 2013 TD Grand Jazz Award from the Montréal International Jazz Festival!
Created in 1982 by the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, the Grand Jazz Award has become a springboard for local musicians with bright futures in jazz. Every summer, the awarding of the TD Grand Jazz Award has increasingly drawn the interest of the general public, as well as observers of the national and international jazz scenes, giving that last big boost to groups or artists on the verge of general recognition.
Past winners of the award include bassist Kodi Hutchinson's hero - Michel Denato, as well as big names in Canadian jazz such as John Stetch, Francois Bourassa, Joel Miller, David Virelles, and Robi Botos! There hasn't been an Albertan winner since 1998.
Check out the list at: http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/history/jazz-award.aspx
As part of the award, HAT wins:
- The 2013 TD Grand Jazz Award and a $5,000 grant from TD;
- The opportunity to present an encore concert on July 7 at 6 p.m. on the TD stage;
- An invitation to take part in the 2014 Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, all expenses paid by the Festival;
- Fifty hours of studio time and mastering at Karisma Studio;
- An invitation to perform at Festi Jazz International de Rimouski, 2014 edition.
- An invitation to perform at the Festival de Jazz de Québec, 2013 edition.